Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Baa, Baa"

Yesterday morning the three of us were getting ready for work, school and daycare.  Abigail was pretty much ready to go, but Matt and I were trying to put on the finishing touches.  Abigail kept on coming up to us and saying "Baa, Baa".  I hadn't heard her say that for over a year, and I was sure she didn't want a bottle (considering we packed those up and put them in storage nearly a year ago).  She just kept on saying, "Baa, Baa" clear as day.  She was obviously saying exactly what she wanted to say.  Matt finally asked me, "Is she saying 'Baa, Baa'?"  I said, "Yeah, but I have no clue what she wants."  In unison we ask Abigail, "Do you want a sippy cup?"  "NOO!!"  Finally, I just start saying "Baa, Baa", "Baa, Baa" in my head trying to figure out what she wants.  Then as songs always do this played through my head, "Baa, Baa Black sheep.  Have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full."  I shout to Matt, "I know what she wants!!"  I run into Abigail's room and switch out the lullaby cd that she listens to at night for the nursery rhyme sing along cd we got her for Christmas.  Abigail follows me into her room and grabs her nursery rhyme sing along book, plops herself on her bed and opens to the first page just as the music starts.  She loves singing her toddler nonsense mixed with real words from the song and flipping through the pages of her nursery rhyme book!! How smart of her to say "Baa, Baa" when she didn't have all the words she needed to tell us she wanted her nursery rhyme songs on so she could read her nursery rhyme book.  Hearing the words, "Baa, Baa", has been a common occurrence in our home over the past 24 hours, and now I actually know what she wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment