Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Internet Access at Home = An Updated Blog

A lot has happened since I last updated the blog, but it has been super busy so I guess I have a little bit of an excuse. Here is the update.

June 11, 2009
I picked Matt up at the airport in the morning. Then Matt's mom and dad, sister, Jody, and Grandpa Martin came into town. We all finished eating dinner just as all of my guests for my baby shower showed up. Jody and Marilyn joined in on the baby shower while Matt, John and Martin sat in the kitchen playing the same baby shower games as us just for the fun of it. Then when I started opening presents Matt came in and took pictures for me. I am not very photogenic, but these are some of the better pictures.Stopping for a snack break before I open presents.

Opening up cute outfits!!

One of the adorable blankets I was given! I use this all the time to let Abigail play on the floor.

June 12th
In the morning Matt and I went to the Salem Heights Elementary 5th Grade Completion Ceremony. Then I went to my last class at Western Oregon University. That class lasted 3 hours and our professors told us that we were the best class of interpreting students they'd ever seen and that they would never see a class of interpreting students like us again. Of course, being the hormonal pregnant woman I was, I balled. After that, everyone in my interpreting class got together to practice our skit for the Pinning Ceremony later that night. Then I went home and freshened up. My mom, Ryan and Corina had all arrived while I was at the university. I got to hug them really quick and then we all rushed out the door to a free bbq for all graduates and their families. We had quite the crew; it was My mom, Ryan, Corina, John, Marilyn, Jody, Martin, Matt and I. After the bbq we went to my pinning ceremony where we were able to celebrate the completion of the interpreting program. We graduates, showed a slideshow of all of our activities over the past two years, put on a skit and then our professor awarded us with pins that have "Interpreter" and our name engraved on them. After that we presented some gifts to our professors, because they are the best. They are the reason that so far half of my class are certified interpreters. They other half of us are still waiting to find out their results. That is unprecedented and we are making history at Western Oregon University.
Tanya, Abby, Me, Erica and Laura all waiting for the Pinning Ceremony to begin.

Abby, Me and Abigail posing for a picture together.


Matt fell asleep in his chair waiting for the Pinning Ceremony to begin. I can't blame the poor guy! He worked 10 days straight without a day off and then stayed up all night packing before he came back to Oregon. Rest assured he has become accustomed to no sleep as have I.


Getting pinned

Presenting our professors with a picture of our class in a matte signed by all of us

June 13th: Western Oregon University Commencement Ceremony

Corina, Me and Ryan with the bouquet they got me for graduation.


A "You did it!" kiss. Matt deserved that kiss just as much as I did. He spent many nights up with me helping me when the tech aspect of my assignments wasn't working out so well.


Marilyn (Matt's mom), Matt, Me, Grandpa Martin, John (Matt's dad) & Jody (Matt's sister)

Ryan, Mom, Corina, Me, Matt, Aunt Vera & Uncle Tom
Uncle Tom and Aunt Vera came all the way from the Seattle area on their anniversary weekend just to come support me!! Thanks so much Uncle Tom and Aunt Vera!!!

There's the pregnant belly!! The gown hides it so well!

Can you say, "I'm so sick of smiling!"?

June 23rd

My water broke around 8 am, but I didn't go into labor yet. Because I tested positive for Group B Strep, I was admitted to the hospital around noon. At about 2:45 pm I started going into labor. Thank goodness, because at 3 pm they were going to start me on Petosin. Wheh!! My parents showed up around 2 pm and my mom was my labor coach. Matt told me when to start breathing and my dad gave Matt tips to prevent getting yelled or otherwise abused by me. The four of us were a great team! Once I got to an 8 the contractions were back to back with no break and unbearable. First they gave me some pain medication to take off the edge, but it didn't touch the pain. In fact, it just made me drowsy so that I had a hard time focusing on my lamaze. So, then I asked for an epidural. I had to wait for the next available anesthesiologist, which seemed to take at least an hour. I'm not sure how long it really was. I finally got the epidural at 10 pm. I was then able to rest and get my strength up for pushing later on. The nurse told me to hold out as long as possible before I started pushing. I waited until the urge to push made me want to pull my hair out. At 1 am I called in the nurse and she checked me. I was completely efaced and dilated to a 10. She nonchalantly called in the doctor. The doctor came in greeted my parents and Matt, asked the nurse if she had checked me, took his good ole time. Then he checked me and said, "Whoa!! That baby's head is right there!! Let's get going!" I told them I had to push, but I guess they didn't really realize that I meant what I said. Everyone rushed around to get everything needed for the delivery. I pushed for an hour and

Abigail Katherine Van Dusen was born at 2:08 am on June 24, 2009!!!

Aunt Corina holding little Abigail

Grandpa Davis, Baby Abigail and Mommy.
Three generations of Davis'

Grandma Davis holding Baby Abigail at lunchtime.




3 comments:

  1. For those of us who have not seen the baby. We are on pins and needles waiting to see something. Anything. Please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working on it. This blog post is not complete yet. I had to stop in order to take care of a crying baby. I am just now getting around to completing it, so you will soon have pictures of the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss ya'll and hope all is well in Utah. That little miss of your's looks like a keeper. I did not get the chance to see ya'll beofre you left so I had been watching for updates. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete