Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Power of Persuasion

Well, Now that Abigail is 6 months, we have started her on solid foods.  She has been eating cereal for 2 weeks now.  I called the doctor the other day to see what he suggests for transitioning Abigail to solid food.  He told me that I could start feeding her vegetable 1st foods baby food.  Then in two weeks try fruits as well.  He instructed me that she should still get most of her nourishment from milk but that I should start letting her try the taste of different fruits and vegetables. 


Matt and I made a trip to the grocery store yesterday for some essentials.  While we were there we decided to pick up some baby food.  I wanted to start Abigail on peas or something like that.  Matt wanted to start her on carrots because of the benefits carrots are to vision.  I thought that was pretty logical, so we went ahead and got the carrots.  We came home and started feeding it to her.  She immediately hated it.  As soon as I put the first spoonful in her mouth, she got a sour face as she swallowed it.  Then she did the head and body shake I do when I drink airborne or pomegranate juice, as I have been doing the last couple of day to get over this cold. As I continued feeding it to her she started spitting it back at me in spurts.  Needless to say, the outfit I was wearing got little orange spots all over it.  At another point she sort of gagged it down.  I only gave her 5 or 6 bites before I decided that she had a good enough taste of carrots for the night.  Then, I made her some cereal to get the taste out of her mouth.  She continued spitting out the cereal at me until the entire residue of the carrots were gone from her mouth.  Then she was able to enjoy her cereal. 


Spitting the carrots at me.



"I really don't like these mom!!  What happened to my cereal?"



"Get those carrots out of my mouth!!"

Today I made sure to give Abigail carrots again, because I wanted to be sure to teach Abigail that she isn't going to get out of eating vegetables she doesn't like.  Today she didn't seemed thrilled about eating the carrots at first, but I just kept on smiling while I fed them to her and telling her how yummy they were.  Abigail has been so interested in eating our food that her excitement to eat something off a spoon really aided me in my endeavors.  She would get so excited when she saw that I was about to feed her something with a spoon.  Then she would taste the carrots and get a bit of a sour look on her face.  Then I would tell her how yummy  it was and smile like I've never smiled before.  Then she would smile.  She ate the remainder of the container she started yesterday and a whole new container.  By the time she was done with yesterday's remainder, she was actually liking the carrots.  My plan worked.  Luckily, I didn't get carrots spat at me.



What a difference from yesterday!!!


One more day of carrots before we venture onto the next vegetable.  So far no allergic reaction to the carrots!! Yay!!



No comments:

Post a Comment