Saturday, July 3, 2010

Parker Blake Davis

 On Thursday I went to the gym to workout while Abigail was sleeping but before Matt left for work like I always do.  When I came home I had a voice mail from my brother, Jay, letting me know that his wife was going into the hospital to be induced.  I was surprised that the doctor was inducing 2 weeks early, but I didn't think much of it.  I figured they had already set up arrangements for someone to watch their daughter, Riley, but I thought I should check anyway.  It's a good thing I did, because they didn't have anyone to watch her overnight.  I agreed to take Abigail up with me to Logan and watch Riley overnight.  I gathered things up in such a hurry that I forgot to grab anything for me to sleep in or to shower with in the morning.  On my way up, I did a couple of errands and arrived in Hyrum at 5:30.  

 I picked Riley up from the person that was watching her.  They only lived about 1/2 mile from Jay and Jessica's house, but Abigail was just tickled pink to have a buddy in the back seat with her.  They giggled the whole 1/2 mile home.

Parker Blake Davis
born Thursday, July 1, 2010 at 5:48 pm
7 lbs 8 oz and 20 inches long
Back at Jay and Jessica's house I made dinner for the girls, and when they were done eating we went to the playground at the elementary school across the street from the house.  I tried to teach Riley how to play on the swings, but she wasn't getting the concept of holding on to the swings.  If there were another adult there with me I might have been able to have her swing on my lap, but instead the girls mostly walked around in the bark chips.

Riley watching the big kids on the big twirly slide.
Riley walking around in the bark chips.  Abigail crawling.

On the walk home I came to realize that very short distances seem very far when you have a toddler walking on their own.  It was good for Abigail though, because about half way home she decided she wanted to be a big girl like Riley and walk too.  She needed to hold onto my hands, and she was REALLY slow.  I'm just proud of her for wanting to walk.
*Getting ready for bed*
The rest of the evening the two girls just played together.  They were both ready to go to bed by 9 pm.  For Riley, this is apparently early, but for Abigail it is a lot later than normal.  After they went to bed I was able to clean up from dinner.  

Jay came home for a little bit around 11pm.  We got to catch up a little bit while he grabbed some things they needed at the hospital.  
In the morning Riley woke up at 8:30 and Abigail didn't wake up until 10.  Once they were both up they took a bath together.  Riley apparently doesn't like water on her head and cried the whole time I was washing and rinsing her hair.  Since Riley cried the whole time, Abigail cried when I did her hair too.  At the same time Jay was texting me.  It was a little crazy; what I imagine everyday is like with 2 small children.

Around 11 am we went to the hospital so Riley could meet her baby brother for the first time.

Not interested at first.
So Sweet!


After she was done meeting Parker and visiting Mama, she went out to the waiting room where Dada was watching cousin Abigail.  Along the way she tried to make a pit stop in every empty hospital room.  




After we got home from the hospital everyone went down for a nap, including me.  Abigail woke up first.  I gathered our things together while I fed her lunch.  Then Riley woke up, and I took her over to the neighbor's house to be watched for the rest of the evening, but before we did that I snapped some pictures of Riley and Abigail.



Riley was done with the photo shoot.  Oh well... never did get a great one of the two of them together.

Abigail and I got home around 4:30 on Friday.  Abigail was ready for a nap by then.  Unfortunately, the house was really hot by the time I got home.  I wasn't very successful in cooling it off, so by 10 pm Abigail's body temperature was dangerously high.  I did everything I could to cool her off.  We sat directly in front of the air conditioner for a long time.  Once I thought she was as cooled off enough, I put her back in bed with all the fans streaming the cold air from the air conditioner unit to her bedroom.  She woke up at 4 am & she was just as hot as she had been when she woke up before.  We sat in front of the a/c unit again tried getting her to drink water, but she refused.  We tried giving her baby ibuprofen, but she spit it all out.  We tried putting some in a bottle of milk, but she refused to drink that too.  I put a cold wash cloth on her, but she screamed and cried making her face even hotter.  We ended up just sitting in front of the a/c unit until her body was cooled off and the only thing that still remained hot was her head.  We even took her diaper off for a while to cool her bum.  Then we put her back in bed.  When she woke up in the morning she wasn't hot any more.  Today she has still not been herself.  She woke up at 9 am and stayed up long enough to eat a yogurt.  Then she slept until 1 pm.  She got up and played a little bit, but she wouldn't use any of her words except "Mama".  Finally we got her laughing and smiling.  She started to use more words and get into mischief like she always does.  Then she went back down for a nap around 2:30 and is still sleeping.  I don't think she had any brain damage from the high fever, because after waking up a little bit she seemed to act like her normal self.  Just in case, we will take her into the doctor on Monday to get checked out.

It's been a crazy couple of days, but such is life right!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're right, what a couple crazy days. Hopefully things have calmed down :)

    ReplyDelete