Friday, August 20, 2010

Visiting Grandpa Davis



Well, I am finally getting around to writing about our trip to Washington.  My dad helped me drive to East Wenatchee.  We left around 10:00 Sunday night (August 1st).  We finally arrived to my grandparents' house around 10:30 or 11:00 Monday morning.  It was a long trip, needless to say.  Both my dad and I were very tired. Abigail didn't sleep in the car nearly as well as she normally does, but we were certainly grateful for the times that she did go to sleep in the car.  

Abigail and I stayed in the room in the basement, so that Abigail could have a quiet place to take naps.  I felt bad, because that meant that I had a King size bed to myself and my dad had to sleep on an air mattress on the floor in the basement.  Oh well... Abigail and I stayed for about a week and then we went over to Seattle to see my Grandma Harston.  While we were in Wenatchee we spent a lot of time with family.  It was great to have all the family together again.  There were also lots of visitors-- people my grandpa went to school with, worked with at the dam or people from church.  Every night people from church brought a feast for us to eat.  We were so stuffed!! I am sure we each gained 10 lbs.  It was great through.  Here are some pictures from our stay in Wenatchee.
 Grandpa
 Great Uncle Junior and Aunt Cindy
Abigail playing with the big kids.
Grandma finally giving Ashley some TLC.  I guess she thinks she's a human.
Abigail trying to get Uncle Jay.
Hugs!
Grandpa & Abigail
Grandpa & Dad
Aunt Nikki & Abigail
My brother, Jay, Grandma, Grandpa, Me
Grandpa & Aunt Cindy
Dad, Grandpa & Aunt Cindy
Grandpa with Ashley
Abigail checking out my teeth or checking to see if I'm sick... one or the other.
Smiles!!

I didn't end up getting to spend very much time with Grandma Harston, because there never seemed to be a good time for me to go visit her at the hospital or in the nursing home.  It was good that I was in town though, because my aunt had a pinched nerve and was basically put on bed rest while I was there.  I was able to help her out and even take her to one of her appointments.  I went to see my grandma on my way out of town.  I thought I would be able to get a good solid hour of visiting time with her, but she kept on falling asleep when I was talking to her.  She was really out of it too.  Nothing she said made any sense, but I guess that is par for the course nowadays.  I finally told her that I was going to leave so that she could get some rest.  Just then a nurse staff member wheeled someone else into the room.  The other resident was loving Abigail.  I told her that Abigail was Cathern's great-granddaughter and she was given the middle name of Katherine after Cathern.  Suddenly, my grandma woke up and came to the present.  Her eyes were clear and she was able to carry an intelligible conversation with me for a couple minutes.  It didn't last, and she fell back asleep.  She was really pleased to know that her great-grandaughter was named after her, and I know the grandma I once knew would have said, "Oh, I'm just tickled pink!"  That one moment when my grandma was present in the moment is a treasure I will keep forever.

I wasn't able to take any pictures while I was there, but here are some that my mom took a couple weeks before.  
After spending a couple of days in Seattle I came back to Wenatchee and spent a few more days there before I came home.  Uncle Glen came to Wenatchee on business, so we went out to dinner with him.  It was a lot of fun to get to chat with him.  My dad was supposed to drive back to Salt Lake with me, but my grandpa wanted him to stay longer.  My cousin Kaitlyn rode with me though.  I was really grateful to have someone to talk to when she was awake.  

We got home at 9:00 Saturday morning (Aug 4th).  Abigail was invited to a birthday party at 10:00 Saturday morning, so we stopped at K-Mart on the way home and picked up a toy.  Then we went home and showered to go to the party.  Abigail had a lot of fun.  They had a trampoline and water balloons.  Abigail loved taking the water balloons out of the bucket and dropping them on the ground.  They didn't break, but kids started grabbing them off the ground and throwing them at other kids.  Eventually the flow of kids coming to get water balloons was so rapid that she would get one out of the bucket and hand them to the older kids.  She was loving it!!!
Can you tell that her shirt is SOAKED????
Abigail wouldn't leave the balloons alone, so Matt sat next to where the balloon was staked down and let Abigail hold onto it.  He stayed up all night, so I would come home to a clean house.  He was a bit tired, can you tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment