Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Trunk or Treat

On Saturday we went to a trunk or treat at the Stake Center. There were tons of cars there, and Abigail got plenty of candy. After that we went inside and had a dinner and dance with the Samoan ward. Our friends who had invited us were in the kitchen working so there was no one to interpret for us. We did our best to follow social and visual cues. Abigail did a great job of knowing what was going on! They had had a costume parade for the kids that she participated in. Then they had one for adults. Of course the announcement was made in Samoan, but she saw lots of people gathering in a circle for another costume parade. She ran into the circle and had only taken a few steps before she realized that none of the kids were in the parade. She ran right out of the circle and back to the kids.
The food was delicious!! It was curry with chicken. We ate one helping and were stuffed! Then they started passing out bowls to everyone. Before we could refuse we each had another heaping bowl of curry and rice. After that they passed out huge slices of bread. The only thing Abigail would eat was the bread. she picked out the center. She never eats butter on her bread, so I was surprised she ate it. Matt said he had more butter at that activity than he'd ever eaten in his life, which isn't much of an exaggeration! Then they started passing out this drink. I looked to see what it was and it was black and chunky. Kind of looked like some mud pies I've made in my childhood. I said to Matt, "What is this?" Someone came by and told us it is just a Samoan drink. I tried it and thought it was disgusting. Unfortunately, the mother in law of the friend that invited me saw whatever face I made when tasted it and started laughing. Matt liked it a lot. Then our friends told us the bread is meant to be dipped in the drink. Matt did that and said it tasted like a doughnut, but I really had no desire to partake. Our friends told us that the drink is their equivalent of coffee, only they grind cocoa beans into a watery chunky drink. We had a great time and Abigail loved every minute of it. We finally left around 9:00 and did a couple errands. It was another late night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment