Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Complete Shock

Well, last week we went to Costco to make a couple of returns.  We had  bought a tv antenna that was supposed to be bigger and better than the rabbit ears we already had, but when we brought it home and put it together we didn't get any more channels than we already had.  We decided to take it back, because it cost $65 more than the one we already had and seemed to be a waste of our money.  We had also bought an air conditioner to put in our room for the summer, but we also decided to take that back.  Our landlord is really picky about things not looking "trashy" & we decided that an air conditioner hanging out our bedroom window with cardboard sealing the hot air out would probably be deemed "trashy".  We were in the return line at Costco when Matt taps me on the shoulder and points to a man walking toward us and whispers, "Robin, it's President Uchtdorf!"  I looked at the man and couldn't decide if it really was President Uchtdorf or not.  It looked like him, but he seemed too skinny to be President Uchtdorf. I kept on staring at the poor man until he got in the return line behind us.  I finally decided it was really him, so I told Matt to say something to him.  Matt and I both turned around in line, staring at President Uchtdorf with our mouths wide open and trying to figure out how in the world to start a conversation with an Apostle of the Lord.

After a few seconds that felt like minutes, the conversation finally went like this:
Pres. Uchtdorf: How are you?
Robin: We are fine. How are you?
Pres. Uchtdorf: I am doing quite well.  So, you are returning some things today, huh?

The conversation went on without any question about whether we were members or anything like that.  Obviously, it was clear based on how shocked we were to be seeing him that we were members.  He continued by asking about Abigail and how old she was.  Matt bragged about me having a bachelor's degree and giving birth 10 days later.  President Uchtdorf said, "How efficient." Then Matt went on telling him that we moved here when Abigail was 6 days old.  He said, "Oh wow... very efficient." It made me laugh.  I had never thought of it in that way.  Then it was our turn to be helped, so we each went on our way.  I could not believe that it didn't even cross my mind to get a picture with him or ask the questions I've always wanted to ask about growing up in Germany.  I had my chance, and I blew it.  However, I will never forget that opportunity.  It was amazing!!!

1 comment:

  1. That is so cool! When we first moved to North Salt Lake I saw President Eyring in Dicks, and didn't say anything more than hello (I hadn't realized it was him!) It is funny how I'll never forget that small conversation. Looks like everything is going well, keep posting so I know whats going on in your life!

    ReplyDelete